See photos (2)

Chapel of the brotherhood of Black Penitent

Historic site and monument, Religious heritage, Chapel, listed, Town of Art & History, Classical, 17th C, 18th C in Briançon

  • Placed street of the Asfeld's bridge, this old chapel was built at the dawn of the 17th century to shelter the services of "the brotherhood of black Penitents" of Briançon

  • Based in 1582, under Saint-Nom-de-Jésus, the brotherhood of penitent black included Briançonnais, men and women of any condition, the simple ploughman to the rich middle-class person. They came to help the poor people, visited the sick and attended the funerals. The construction of the chapel began in 1603, the bell tower was ended in 1621 and the hall established in 1735. During the revolutionary period, the chapel was closed. It reopened in 1904, after its repurchase by the penitent. By...
    Based in 1582, under Saint-Nom-de-Jésus, the brotherhood of penitent black included Briançonnais, men and women of any condition, the simple ploughman to the rich middle-class person. They came to help the poor people, visited the sick and attended the funerals. The construction of the chapel began in 1603, the bell tower was ended in 1621 and the hall established in 1735. During the revolutionary period, the chapel was closed. It reopened in 1904, after its repurchase by the penitent. By 1930, closed down, It was transformed into cinema by a private individual. In 1947, a fire destroyed all the internal arrangements, the remaining elements of which were plundered.
    In 1968, the city acquired walls and, in 1973, made restore the bell tower registered on the Additional Inventory of Historic monuments. Unfortunately, in 1987, just after the restoration by the club of the Old Manor house, the roof of shingles of larch left again in smoke. Lots of elements of the religious furniture were transferred in other religious buildings. A sculptured and gilded set representing a virgin in glory decorates the nave of the Collegiate church. A picture of the 18th century, painted by Louis Court, representing the Circumcision of the Christ, was saved and will be the object of a restoration.
Our suggestions
decouvrir-paca-istock.jpg
Get Inspired
quefaire-paca-istock.jpg
Things to do
sejourner-paca-istock.jpg
Plan your Stay