See photos (3)

Circuit of forts in MRM

Cultural, Tourist routes in Roquebrune-Cap-Martin
  • This circuit will make you discover the rich history of our territory by discovering the forts present in almost all the municipalities from Menton to Tende.

  • 1 - The Fort of Cap Martin
    Located in the town of Roquebrune-Cap-Martin, the Cap
    Martin was part of the Alpine Maginot Line and consists of 3 blocks of
    fight. This is the last work at the southern end of the line. Unique, 25m deep, it is a bunker block with a shaft entrance. Like all the works of the Maginot line, this one allowed an underground life in perfect autarky of 3 to 4 months. Its crew consisted of 343 soldiers and 11 officers. The fortified site was to protect French territory...
    1 - The Fort of Cap Martin
    Located in the town of Roquebrune-Cap-Martin, the Cap
    Martin was part of the Alpine Maginot Line and consists of 3 blocks of
    fight. This is the last work at the southern end of the line. Unique, 25m deep, it is a bunker block with a shaft entrance. Like all the works of the Maginot line, this one allowed an underground life in perfect autarky of 3 to 4 months. Its crew consisted of 343 soldiers and 11 officers. The fortified site was to protect French territory from an Italian invasion, crossing its fire with the work of Roquebrune. In June 1940, the work, exposed to direct fire from Italian artillery, had to fire at Menton in order to prevent Mussolini's troops from entering and was heavily bombed.

    2 - The Fort of Sainte Agnès
    Last rampart of the Maginot line, the fort of Sainte-Agnès in
    was, with the Cap-Martin work on the coast, the ultimate
    southern bastion: it made it possible to padlock the passage of the coast. The
    construction of the structure on this rocky outcrop overlooking the bay
    de Menton lasted 6 years, from 1932 to 1938. The Fort, made up of 6 blocks
    is a real underground city dug under the village. The building
    equivalent to a four-story building embedded in the hill.
    There are 2000m2 of galleries and underground rooms with
    state-of-the-art equipment for the time. The Fort could accommodate
    350 troops who could live there in complete autarky
    during 3 months. The Fort's mission was defensive: to prevent
    the Italians to infiltrate by the coast, to enter Menton and
    progress along the coast towards Nice.

    3 - The Fort of Castillon
    The fort is a work of the Maginot line located at the Col de Castillon at an altitude of 740m,
    located under the ruins of the ancient medieval village. The mission of the structure, work on which began in 1932, was to block access to the Col de Castillon and ensure the continuity of infantry and artillery fire between Ste-Agnès and Fort du Barbonnet. The
    strength was made up of 337 soldiers and non-commissioned officers, supervised by 7 officers. Fort de Castillon will only really serve from 22 to 25 June 1940 in the face of an Italian attack from the border between Pierre Pointue and the fall of Scuvion.

    4 - The Fort Saint Roch in Sospel
    Fort Saint-Roch is part of the Maginot line. Built in
    1930s, it required 5,000m3 of concrete and 385 tonnes of steel. The
    mission entrusted to the work was not only to participate in the
    continuity of fire with neighboring structures to form a line of
    resistance, but also to block the Sospel-
    Breil with its 75mm gun and two 81mm action mortars
    frontal. This fortress, which housed up to 260 men, officers
    included, still has a 149mm gun weighing 13 tons, and
    several of its rooms bring to life the daily life of its troops.

    5 - The Fort du Barbonnet in Sospel
    Built at the top of Mont Barbonnet which rises to 847m, it
    barred the Bévéra Valley and the Col de Braus, thus protecting Nice.
    This summit was fortified several times: first in 1883-1886, with the construction of a fort Séré de Rivières, which was then modernized from 1891 to 1917 (addition of layers of concrete and some shielding), then again in 1931-1935, in the form of an artillery work as part of the Maginot Line. Its mission was to prevent an invasion of Nice by monitoring the Bévéra valley, the Col de Castillon and the Col de Braus. As soon as it was built, it accommodated 2 Mougin model 1876 turrets, each armed with two 155L guns, which in 1887 made it one of the 3 most armored structures in France.

    6 - Fort de l'Agaisen in Sospel
    As part of the Maginot Line, the Agaisen structure was established at the top of Mount Agaisen, which dominates the Bévéra valley and the small
    town of Sospel, at an altitude of 750 meters. Its construction between 1930 and 1937 cost a total of 24.6 million francs. This is a strictly defensive structure. A turret still in operation is capable of firing 360 degrees. The entrances are on one level, while the access to the blocks is via wells with stairs and freight elevator. Its underground infrastructures (galleries, power station, elevators, combat blocks ...) numbered 400 soldiers who successfully participated in the fighting of June 1940 which prevented the passage of the Italian army into the Bévéra valley.

    7 - CHAR M5A1 STUART
    This is an original tank from the Mountain Infantry Battalion of
    the 1st Free French Division. It was immobilized by an anti-tank mine on the Authion plateau, at the Cabanes Vieilles camp, on April 10, 1945. Pushed into a ravine on April 11 because it was blocking the road, this tank still bears its paint and its markings. 'origin.To get there, you have to go to Col de Turini (1,604m), go up by the RD68 to the drop of Camp d'Argent (1,737m), and continue
    the ascent towards the Authion circuit. The tank is at the camp
    of "Cabanes Vieilles", on the left of the circuit and near a
    former barracks and a working cheese factory.

    8 - Old cabins camp
    The “Cabanes Vieilles” camp was built on the ridges
    panoramic views of the Authion massif in the 1890s to
    welcome the troops in maneuver. First in wood, then it will be
    enlarged and partly restored in freestone. In the 1930s, a
    cable car is built to bring food from the road
    of Moulinet. During the summer, more than a thousand men stayed
    in the massif. In 1945, it was one of the last French territories to be liberated.

    9 - Fort de la Redoute Pointe des 3 communes
    The Redoute des Trois-Communes is a structure built at 2,082m on a
    summit located at the limit of the municipalities of Breil-sur-Roya, Saorge and La
    Bollène-Vésubie. Built between 1897 and 1899 on the site of a
    old Sardinian battery, the Redoubt of the Three Communes is the first
    fort des Alpes-Maritimes built in reinforced concrete. Only the facade
    throat is in freestone. Pentagonal in shape, it is surrounded
    of a ditch. Raised on the highest point of the Authion massif at 2080m
    altitude, it monitors the ridge of the Ortiguié which leads to the Col de Raus
    and the old border, and the Vallée des Merveilles north of the Pas du
    Devil. Its role was to protect the forts of La Forca and the Thousand Forks.
    Occupied by the Germans in 1943, the facade of the structure suffered from
    the French attack of April 12, 1945. The troops consisted of a
    officer, two non-commissioned officers and 48 enlisted men.

    10 - The Forts of the Col de Tende - Fort Central
    The project to build the forts on the Col de Tende was part of the
    general defense plan for Italy decided in 1871. The objective was then to
    create a line of protection to prevent access to Cuneo
    to possible invaders from the Roya Valley. The strong
    central, built between 1881 and 1885 and which dominates the Col de Tende at a
    altitude of 1926m, is located on the southern border of the municipalities of
    Tende and La Brigue, remained Italian after the re-establishment of Nice and
    from Savoy to France in 1860. From this fort start several routes
    easy walks, to do with the family. It can be joined either from
    Tende by the Spegi track, and the drops of the Urn and Peirefique
    (4x4 recommended), or from the Italian side via the resort road
    "The Three Friends".
  • Spoken languages
    • French
Openings
Openings
  • From March 1, 2022 until December 31, 2022
    Opened Everyday
  • All year 2023
    Opened Everyday
  • All year 2024
    Opened Everyday
  • All year 2025
    Opened Everyday
  • All year 2026
    Opened Everyday
Nos suggestions
decouvrir-paca-istock.jpg
Get Inspired
quefaire-paca-istock.jpg
Things to do
sejourner-paca-istock.jpg
Plan your Stay