See photos (6)

Les croix

Historic site and monument, Religious heritage, Wayside cross, 19th C in Châteaurenard

  • There are six crosses in the local countryside. They are the Croix de Piquette, the Croix de l’Oratoire, the Croix de la Mâtarde, the Croix du Mas de Cartier, the Croix Rouge and the Croix de la Crau. They were erected during the second half of the 19th century and some of them have recently been restored.
    The following crosses are located in the town: the Croix du Rond Point (at the intersection of Bd Gambetta and Bd Jules Ferry and Avenue Général de Gaulle and Avenue Trouillet) was...
    There are six crosses in the local countryside. They are the Croix de Piquette, the Croix de l’Oratoire, the Croix de la Mâtarde, the Croix du Mas de Cartier, the Croix Rouge and the Croix de la Crau. They were erected during the second half of the 19th century and some of them have recently been restored.
    The following crosses are located in the town: the Croix du Rond Point (at the intersection of Bd Gambetta and Bd Jules Ferry and Avenue Général de Gaulle and Avenue Trouillet) was erected in 1865. The Croix de l’Ancien Calvaire is on Rue de l’Ancien Calvaire, near the Oratory of St Eloi.
    A large cross, known as the Croix du Jubilé, was erected circa 1836 in the first plot of the cemetery. It dates from 1875. According to the Book of Leviticus and the Law of Moses, a Jubilee year is dedicated to God. There is no sowing or harvesting, debts and sold assets are cancelled and slaves are freed. It occurs every 50 years. The tradition of a Jubilee year was abandoned during Antiquity; in the Middle Ages, however, Pope Boniface VIII established a holy year in 1300 and forgave the sins of the pilgrims to the Basilicas of the Apostles in Rome.
    Near the Monument to the Dead is a Cross from the 1956 Mission.
    1844 Calvary
    Until the 1950s, a Way of the Cross led from the church to the Calvary. This Calvary, erected in 1844, consists of a monumental cross on top of a large stone base. This representation of the passion of Christ is located in the middle of a pine groves, half-way up the hill. The Way of the Cross provided easy access to the Calvary; from there, it is possible to climb up to the Golden Virgin.
Our suggestions