img-name-mising

The Calvaries

Historic site and monument, Religious heritage, Wayside cross in Orgon
  • Croix de la Durance (The Cross of the Durance)
    Together with the Cross of the Grey Penitents, this cross dominates the Orgon landscape. It stands above the Durance Valley, on the Port Vieux cliff, as a symbol of Christian faith visible by villagers and travellers from many miles away.
    The Cross at the Porte la Durance
    This cross overlooks the Porte de la Durance fountain; here is a drawing of the cross by René Fages in the monograph he co-wrote with Louis Tertian.
    The Cross of the Grey...
    Croix de la Durance (The Cross of the Durance)
    Together with the Cross of the Grey Penitents, this cross dominates the Orgon landscape. It stands above the Durance Valley, on the Port Vieux cliff, as a symbol of Christian faith visible by villagers and travellers from many miles away.
    The Cross at the Porte la Durance
    This cross overlooks the Porte de la Durance fountain; here is a drawing of the cross by René Fages in the monograph he co-wrote with Louis Tertian.
    The Cross of the Grey Penitents of Avignon
    This cross was erected in Beauregard in 1903, after being blessed in the Carmelites of Avignon Church a week earlier. Cut from a 10 metre-long oak, it was first displayed in Beauregard Chapel; there were 6,000 people on the hill on that Sunday 23 August 1903. The pedestal is 2.8 metres high and was made of dressed stone from the Jury Véran quarries in Ménerbes. Four marble plaques, made by the sculptor Galinier, contain engravings of Latin inscriptions, a poem in French and another in the Mistralian language, testifying to the influence of the Félibrige association. The Cross had to be taken down in April 2009 as it was swaying dangerously during the Mistral winds. The municipal council decided to replace it. The new cross was identical to the original and was put in place in December 2009.
    The wooden cross at the entrance to La Pinède cemetery
    Until quite recently, this cross was still at the start of Rue Sous le Fort, but was moved when the road was repaired. It is now located at the entrance to La Pinède cemetery on the Route de Beauregard.
    The cross on the forecourt of the parish church
    On the terrace, near the Town Hall, at the bottom of the church, a decorated cast iron cross sits on top of a stone alter where the priest of the commune would officiate in certain circumstances. This cross replaced an old wooden cross which supported a very large Christ. In the middle of the last century, this Christ was transformed into a recumbent statue and moved to the church, under the altar of Sacré-Cœur Chapel.
    The Croix des Missions (Cross of the Missions)
    This cross was blessed in 1902 and placed at the top of the fronton of the parish church. The words 'Mission de 1902' are engraved on its base.
    The Faubourg Sainte-Anne Cross
    This decorated cross is embedded in a stone base on the corner of Faubourg Sainte-Anne and the Montée du Paradis.
    The Place de la Conillière Cross
    This is the most remarkable cross in the village. It was placed on a large stone base in memory of those who died in the plague of 1721.
    The Cross of Saint Roch Chapel
    This cross stands by the side of the road leading to Saint Roch Chapel. It was erected in 1803 as testimony of the religious revival that followed the Revolution.
    The Chemin de de la Mine Cross
    This decorated wrought iron cross is located by the side of the Chemin de la Mine.
    The Cross of the Perdigale
    This cross marked one of the stations of the Rogation processions to the pumps, to ensure the success of the cereal harvests.
    Cross of the Mas de Bréguier
    This cross is on private property on the Route d'Eygalières.
    Accessible for disabled
Services
  • Equipment
    • Car park
Openings
Openings
  • All year 2022
    Opened Everyday
Nos suggestions
decouvrir-paca-istock.jpg
Get Inspired
quefaire-paca-istock.jpg
Things to do
sejourner-paca-istock.jpg
Plan your Stay