Located in Gap, the Museum of the Hautes-Alpes department has remarkable collections of great diversity, covering themes as varied as fine arts, history and archaeology, natural sciences… More than 2,600 m² of exhibition space awaits visitors, children and adults alike, who will marvel at the many works and pieces on display.
A lottery for a museum
The history of the Departmental Museum of the Hautes-Alpes department begins with a game of chance. Indeed, on May 23, 1901, the Chamber of Deputies authorized a drawing of the National Lottery designed to finance the creation of a large departmental museum in Gap. Work began in 1903 and was completed in 1910. The collections were enriched by donations from numerous collectors, from the Hautes-Alpes department and patrons from all over the world. The museum is involved in transmission of memory and is supported by institutions, learned societies and committed volunteers.
The collections of the Gap Museum are particularly varied and include various themes:
- Archeology bears witness to human activities in the Hautes-Alpes department since prehistoric times.
- Fine arts are in the spotlight with collections of paintings and sculptures.
- Contemporary arts showcase particularly talented contemporary artists.
- Arts include collections of posters, drawings and prints.
- Ceramics, an industry in Gap, also benefits from a permanent exhibition space.
- The photographic collection challenges and questions visitors.
- Ethnology allows you to discover the past of the Haut-Alpins and of distant peoples through objects of daily life.
- Local history is promoted in a dedicated space.
- Natural history is part of a museum and naturalist tradition.
- Numismatics showcase old coins and medals.
Immaterial works and installations complete the visit.
Exhibitions and activities
Numerous exhibitions contribute to making the Gap Museum a lively place and a dynamic cultural space. The exhibitions deal with a wide variety of ethnographic themes, such as Ébranlements, an ode to the passage of time. Events for all audiences are organized throughout the year.
Prepare your visit to the Departmental Museum of Gap in the Hautes-Alpes department:
- Opening days (September to June): every day except Tuesday. Closed on public holidays
- Opening days (July and August): every day
Address: 6 avenue Maréchal FOCH – 05000 GAP