Description
This church is located just outside the village center of La Bolline (1,000 m), along the main road. It is believed to date from the late 17th or even early 18th century.
It is believed to have been built on the site of an older structure, which would explain the style and location of the late Romanesque bell tower that flanks it near its center. It is a vast building in the Baroque style with a rectangular floor plan.
It was once accessed via a flight of about ten steps, now buried beneath the esplanade that surrounds the church. The cemetery, formerly located along the west facade, was moved to its current location. The church is dedicated to St. James the Greater, the Apostle.
The church has a single nave and side chapels; a notable painting above the high altar depicting an Apparition of the Virgin to St. James is signed in capital letters: LUDOVICUS VANLOO 1702. Other paintings at the side altars are also worth noting: the “Lamentation of Christ” (1650–1700), an exceptional work. The Triptych of the Virgin and Child (1576), depicting the Virgin teaching the Child, flanked by St. James the Greater and St. Philip…
Also worth noting are the two holy water fonts at the entrance and the statue of St. Donatus.
The building has been listed on the register of Historic Monuments since 1932.













