The well is located on the Place d'Armes, in the heart of the historic city. Vauban, passing through Briançon in 1692, had it dug in order to have a water reserve in case of a siege by an enemy army. It is 42 metres deep.
The rotunda covering the well was rebuilt to the original. The work was completed in 2012. The idea for this reconstruction came about when texts relating to the destruction of the building in the 19th century came to light in the contemporary municipal archives. Until then, it was thought that Vauban's well had existed but that the aedicula on top of it had remained in the planning stage. Since no one in living memory had any memory of it, an in-depth historical study, directed by Michel...