Pablo Picasso and Antibes
In 1946, Picasso was offered the exceptional opportunity to set up his workshop in the heart of Château Grimaldi, the famous castle of Antibes Juan les Pins. Romuald Dor de la Souchère, curator of the museum which then occupied the premises, suggested that the artist use the rooms of the castle to give free rein to his creativity. Between mid-September and mid-November 1946, Pablo Picasso created numerous works within the castle walls, including Les Clés d’Antibes (The Keys of Antibes). When he decided to return to Paris, Picasso left in the castle 23 paintings and 44 drawings. This period strengthened the ties uniting the man to the city, who would return there regularly. In 1957, Picasso was elevated to the rank of “Honorary Citizen of Antibes”.